Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Xinghai Square

<

First, a disclaimer that the next few pictures are a little out of sequence. I shot these when I was in Dalian in November. But as we finished our driving tour of strange oceanside artwork, we drove back through Xinghai Square, and I got another look and the monuments and surrounding architecture. Its an amazing place, a huge plaza, significantly larger than a more famous public plaza, Tiananmen square....at least that's what my driver told me. There's a ton of sports-themed sculptures, a big concrete slab that could pass for the world's largest halfpipe, a giant castle on the hill that overlooks this cool blue bridge. And its all right on the ocean. Luckily I got one of the few days of clear sky to get these shots.








You can rent a bike and go for a ride around the plaza - I thought these were odd, until I considered that if you're limited to one child per family, you really need a bicycle built for three to make sure nobody gets left out











No comments: